Monday, November 4, 2013

Booked: Bossypants, Let's Discover Diabetes With Owls, & The Great Gatsby

I love to read, I love to collect books, and I love great entertaining stories. However, my busy lifestyle leaves little to no time to sit down with a good book. I have rediscovered my love for audio books and have listened to three within the past couple weeks. These three are Bossypants by Tina Fey, Let's Discover Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris, and The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald. I took a book from the past (Gatsby), one not too old (Bossy), and a new one (Diabetes) and listened to these while sewing my head off. Each one is so different from the last, so if you're looking for something new to read (or listen to!) pick up one of these awesome books.


Bossypants is hilarious. I found myself giggling in my cubicle while my coworkers looked on like I'm a crazy person.The best part of the audiobook is that it's read by Tina Fey, making it that much more funny. She imitates the voices and really gives the life she meant to the words. This book is about her life and being a woman, with a lot of gay friends and loss of luck in love. I adore Tina Fey, this book made me like her that much more.

Let's Discover Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris was also a funny listen. The audiobook is also read by the author, and is a compilation of loads of short stories. Mostly stories about his odd and funny life, his family, and even some fictional shorts. This is a good read for rainy days and gave me some great laughs as well.

The Great Gatsby is a classic, I'm sure many of you were forced to read it in school. It has been ages since I read it, whatever year in school that was, and I had to re-read the story that is so sad and yet lovely. I also watched the recently remade film, which I was not crazy about! I thought it was a little too overdone, I understand that was the purpose but it lost some of it's simple pleasantness that only the book has. After re-listening to the book it became apparent that I was not a huge fan of the movie over the book. So if you have never read The Great Gatsby or seen the movies, I suggest you pick it up and give it a read or listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment